Melissa K. Davis Real Estate
102 West Spring
Brackettville, Texas 78832 (
map)
(830)563-2446

Jesus Fish! God bless you!

 

Melissa Davis

melissa@melissakdavisrealestate.com
 

 

Fort Clark Springs, Texas

 

Fort Clark
1852 - 1946

Description

Fort Clark Springs, a unique oasis nourished by the Las Moras Spring; which has provided comfort and enjoyment to visitors for over 12,000 years.

Today, Fort Clark Springs is a 2700 acre gated resort and leisure living community, bordering US Highway 90 at Brackettville, TX. Since 1971, the Fort Clark Springs Association has developed this peaceful, secure place to live and relax while carefully preserving a significant National Register Historic District which holds a prominent place in the history of our nation.

Visit Fort Clark today and stay in a relaxing mix of rustic and historic beauty at Fort Clark Motel or be welcomed at the RV Park with full hook-ups, cable TV and Wi-Fi. For those who like camping under the big stars of Texas, Campers World is surrounded by big oak and pecan trees, BBQ pits and picnic tables. Enjoy swimming in the largest privately owned spring-fed swimming pool, 18 holes of championship golf, wildlife, nature trails, birding and much, much more!

General Information

Fort Clark was established June 20, 1852 at Las Moras Springs by two companies of the First Infantry under the command of Major Joseph H. LaMotte along with an advance and rear guard of U.S. Mounted Rifles (later the 3rd Cavalry). Located at the headwaters of Las Moras Creek, the spring, named "The Mulberries" by Spanish explorers was a site long favored as camp grounds for Comanche, Mescalero, Lipan, and other Indians.

In 1849 Lieutenant W.H.C. Whiting, during his reconnaissance for a practicable route between San Antonio and El Paso, recognized its military potential and recommended the location as a site for a fort. The land was leased from S.A. Maverick. Two Companies (C and E) of the First Infantry encamped near the Springs. Later, the garrison was moved up the hill from the Spring. By 1853 quarters for the soldiers were nearly completed and in 1854 three grass-covered officers' quarters were built. In 1855 a stone hospital and a two-story storehouse were erected.

With the onset of the Civil War and the secession of Texas, the Federal soldiers left Fort Clark, March 19, 1861 and returned December 12, 1866. Until August 1862 the Fort was occupied by the Second Texas Mounted Rifles. It later served as a supply depot and a hospital for Confederate troops and civilians in surrounding areas.

With the establishment of Fort Clark, a neighboring settlement of Las Moras came into existence when Oscar B Brackett established a supply village for the Fort. The town's name was changed to Brackett in 1856, and later to Brackettville. The stage ran through the settlement and for almost a century the town and the Fort remained closely identified.

Fort Clark is perhaps most famous as the home for the Seminole-Negro Indian Scouts. After twenty years of protecting Mexico's northern states from hostile Indians for the Mexican Army, they came to Fort Duncan in 1872 and to Fort Clark to serve the Army as scouts. The Indian Scouts served at Fort Clark from 1872 until 1914. Lt. John L. Bullis, later a general, served as their commander from 1873-1881. Fort Clark is also noted as the headquarters for Colonel Ranald S. Mackenzie's raiders. He led raids into Mexico to punish renegade Indians, playing a decisive role in bringing to an end the Indian depredations in Texas.

Comanche's on horseback swept down from north on moonlit nights, raiding, killing, taking horses, mules and cattle, escaping across the Rio Grande into Mexico.

Lipan's and Kickapoos from Mexico slipped across the border into Texas, destroying, stealing, murdering, and returning quickly to safety.

Outlaws of every nationality fled from one side of the border to safety on the other side. Hundreds of pioneers were forced to abandon their homesteads.

On May 17, 1873 Mackenzie, accompanied by Lt. Bullis and the Seminole-Negro Indian Scouts, led troops of the 4th U.S. Cavalry into Mexico on a punitive expedition against the Lipan's. Other sorties followed. Again in 1878, Mackenzie was recalled to Fort Clark to stop the Kickapoos was on Texas. Mackenzie with Bullis and Seminole Scouts and a large peace-time army crossed the border to effectively stop the Mexican Army and end the Mexican-Indian hostilities forever. The last Indian depredation in the Military district of the Nueces was in 1881.

Many infantry units and virtually all cavalry units, including the 9th and 10th Black "Buffalo Soldiers", were stationed at Fort Clark at various times. During the Spanish-American War, Fort Clark was garrisoned by the Third Texas Infantry. With the Indian Wars at an end, the Fort was threatened with closure, but turmoil along the border due to the Mexican Revolution revitalized the military need for the Fort, as did the First World War, which soon followed.

In 1941, the 5th Cavalry was transferred to Fort Bliss and Fort Clark was then manned by the 112th Cavalry, Texas National Guard Unit, until their deployment for combat duties in the Pacific. Later, more than 12,000 troops of the second Cavalry Division trained at Fort Clark until their deployment in February 1944. The war also added another feature to the history of Fort Clark, that of having a German POW sub camp on the 4,000 acre reservation.

By the end of World War I, the technological advancement of modern arms signaled the obsolescence of the horse cavalry. Yet it was not until June 1944, that full mechanization of the cavalry caused the government to close Fort Clark, one of the last horse-cavalry posts in the country. The Fort was officially deactivated in early 1946, and later that year was sold to Brown and Root Company for salvage and later used as a guest ranch.

Fort Clark is truly a fort closure that became a success story, and is "Living History Today".

 

Home - About Us - Credentials - Location - Privacy - Links - Brackettville, Texas - Fort Clark Springs Contact Us

Texas Real Estate Commission (TREC) Disclosure

Find more about Weather in Brackettville, TX
Click for weather forecast

Brackettville, Texas

Fort Clark, Texas - Weather

Ken Barnett Real Estate Brackettville, Texas Fort Clark Springs Ken Barnett Real Estate is a member of the Texas Association of Realtors! Ken Barnett Real Estate Brackettville, Texas Fort Clark Springs Ken Barnett Real Estate is a member of the National Association of Realtors! Ken Barnett Real Estate Brackettville, Texas Fort Clark Springs Ken Barnett Real Estate is a member of the Texas and National Association of Realtors!

Buyer's brokers must be identified on first contact and must accompany buying prospect on first showing to be allowed full fee participation. If this condition is not met fee participation will be at sole discretion of Melissa Davis Real Estate, Barbara J. Voss, Broker.
DISCLAIMER: Although Broker, Barbara J. Voss, has used care in obtaining this data, she submits it with no warranty or guarantee of its accuracy. Buyer beware of possible errors or omissions and the fact that seller may make changes and decisions which are beyond the control of the broker. Click here for the Texas Real Estate Commission Disclosure.

 Copyright © 2004-2017  Melissa K. Davis Real Estate - www.melissakdavisrealestate.com  All Rights Reserved.

Melissa K. Davis - Realtor         Barbara J. Voss - Broker

Custom Website Design, Hosting and SEO Grupo Media   www.grupomediacruzmartinon.com

Websites that work! Call 325-480-1213 for website design, wesite hosting, and website SEO!